A line from Billie Eilish’s song, “Everything I wanted” ~ “If I could change the way that you see yourself” caught my attention. Billie could be the greatest therapist-songwriter of this century! Sadness and depression are not easy to talk about.
It made me think and ask, “How do I see myself?”
That is a DEEP question. Check the results in your life. If you don’t like what you see, you may need to check inside.
So I made a list. What would your list look like? Don’t worry, it gets better soon. This is my Sad List. Billie knows all about sad.
- I have (too many) wrinkles
- My hair is dry, with split ends
- OMG! I have gray hair
- My teeth need fixing
- I feel sad sometimes :(
- I worry too much
- I’ve made too many mistakes
- Things don’t always work out for me
- I’m too intense
- I get bored easily
- I procrastinate
- I’m not sure what’s my purpose in life. I used to know.
Some things on my list are external things, like I could see a dentist to fix my teeth, a good hairdresser could fix my hair. I could change my skincare to help me have better glowing skin. Those things are easy or easier to fix.
Internal things like how WE see ourselves are harder (to fix).
Other things on my list are internal. Like how I see myself and I must say that I wasn’t surprised by some of the things on my list.
I can’t pretend that I’m happy all the time.
In fact, sometimes I feel sad. When I feel sad, I don’t look as cute as this dog.
Some people look pretty when they cry. Not me. Duh.
I guess you may have some items on your list that could be similar. You may feel like screaming underwater too.
Feeling a need to boost my self esteem, I made another list.
This is the List of the Best Ways I could SEE Myself. How I Recognise myself for overcoming challenges in my life.
- I am Intelligent
- I can be Funny as in dry GSOH
- I can be Resourceful
- I am Strong #mentalhealth
- I can be Kind
- No BS with me. Meaning I don’t take S***
- I can be Innovative
- I can be Creative
- I can be Persuasive (sometimes)
- I am Self-Aware
- I am Humble (life has knocked off a few of my rough edges)
- I am Resilient
- I can laugh at myself
- I have Energy Intelligence (I’m aware of the energy I’m sending out)
- I know my thoughts have power. No kidding!
- I am a Powerful co-creator with Source/God/the Universe
Try this kind of list, it could show you how FAR you’ve come, rather than how much further you have to go.
I’m not the same person ten years ago, or even one year ago. Massive changes in some areas.
In other areas, some things have stayed the same. I want to change them. Time to look inside, tinker with what’s inside and become a Better, Happier Me!
Some questions to ask yourself when you look at the RESULTS in your life and you’re not happy with what you see.
- What belief is behind this?
- What belief is causing this?
- What am I willing to change?
- What am I willing to let go?
- Do I really, really want to change?
If you are honest with yourself and have the courage to face your deepest fears, asking DEEP questions like these may help to cause:
- A Shift inside you. You only need a tiny shift for the whole house of cards to collapse!
- A Paradigm Shift in your Thinking: Thoughts have power! (Bob Proctor)
- Making new Decisions like “I would never do that again.”
- Stop tolerating excuses and dramas
- Take a “Higher Self” View of your life
- Laugh at some of the things you’ve stressed yourself out over!
- Start over and have hope.
Starting over, I’ll ask my Inner Child to play together. Let’s do something fun and silly like face painting! OK. We’re a messy pair. But hey, this may be the first time that we’ve really connected and healed some of the wounded parts of us.
Many thanks to Billie Eilish and Finneas, they have managed to crack open this “Humpty Dumpty.” I’m laughing at the idea of all that messy egg running down the street. I hope someone can make some yummy omelette with it.
“I had a dream.
I got everything I wanted.
When I wake up, I see you with me.
And you say, as long as I’m here, no one can hurt you.”
If I could change the way that you see yourself, you wouldn’t wonder why you hear, “They don’t deserve you.”
Come on, go find your Happy Place. You deserve it.
#mentalhealth #anxiety #bipolar #depression #selfesteem